the Mellon's

the Mellon's
Happy Families

Thursday 19 April 2012

Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy - the 6 platelets and with Grumpy Hairy Mel we have seven!

Well this week I was supposed to start Chemo 7, however as I suspected my platelet count was low.  The count was actually 6 - so I've named them after the dwarves, with Hairy Mel taking on the role of Grumpy because he'd like to get on with the chemo!

To start the chemo I need to have a platelet count of 100, so I was only 94 short. Below are my counts from Monday and the 'normal ranges' (I'm often below these but it gives you an indication of what is happening in my body).
16/4/12
Haemoglobin         83    Low          (135 - 175)
White Cell count     2.00Low          (3.5 - 10.0)
Neutrophils             1.39Low          (1.5 - 6.5  -  less than 1.0 indicates neutropenia)
Platelets                  6     Low          (150 - 400  -  100 required to start chemo.)

Following my consult with Tony, I received 2 units of blood and 2 units of platelets on Tuesday,  about 7 hours of sitting in the big green chair in day oncology.  I saw Tony again today & platelets are up to mid 50's - promising.  However haemoglobin is still low so back into day oncology tomorrow for 2 units of blood (about 4 hours). 

Chemo is delayed by two weeks with round 7 starting on Tuesday 1st May.  Tony is going on holiday and you know what, I can't really blame him!!

I'll update when something happens.
Have fun out there everyone.

Grumpy (platelet)

No comments:

Post a Comment