the Mellon's

the Mellon's
Happy Families

Thursday 17 November 2011

Moving on - the first week

Well would you believe it! it is only just over a week since I was told "it's lymphoma, can you come into the hospital today"
You would not believe how much has happened in that time both physically and mentally.

My first hurdle was of course having to tell my immediate family - Liz briefly thought I was joking - which surprised me because I kid about many things but I do think I know when to draw the line!

Hayley 18, our youngest daughter, misunderstood what her Mum told her (I was in hospital at the time) and when told again obviously got upset.  Kyle 15, well he set out to chat with a friend - he chose well, his triathlon coach Jamie who gave him some great advice which was later echoed by Warwick the club senior coach. Thanks to Jamie and Warwick. 

Then it was touching base with Kathryn 20. She is currently at Uni. 30mins south of Pittsburgh with a busy school / training / social life!  We got to skype with her at the weekend. Being a super hero - I got Liz to tell her.  To be honest this was the best thing I could have done. The only time I have been emotional over this illness was when thinking of her being such a long way from home. In an email to work colleagues I said that "I wish my arms were 15,000 miles long to reach out to her".  Liz did a brilliant job - calmly telling her everything that we knew, that I am physiscally well (!) and etc.  Liz struggled but did not shed a tear - well done Liz as usual you're my hero.  Once the dirty deed was done I joined the conversation and we agreed certain things most importantly that Ruggles (Kathryns teddy bear) would cuddle her each day on my behalf.

So last week was busy, two nights in hospital undergoing tests, Liz's birthday on Thursday, my sister Pat came up from Iluka, about 3 hours away, to make sure I wasn't fibbing to her about the state of my health.  I'll write some more about the tests later.......

This was the photo that the four of us had framed up for Liz's birthday last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment