the Mellon's

the Mellon's
Happy Families

Wednesday 7 December 2011

The end of week one

Well folks, week one is complete, I am home and I am surprisingly well.
The treatment last week was disrupting in a number of ways, firstly there was the Chemo being injected into my veins. Ok, a necessary evil, I can live with that (I need to live with that!). 
The big doses of steroids threw out my sleep patterns, so that at one point I'd had 7 hours sleep in 48 - reminds me of my youth! 
The two plus litres of IV at a time plus all the water required, resulted in trips to the bathroom at 45 minute intervals & a buzz to the nurse who had to gown up and test it for alkalinity and blood (no wonder I couldn't sleep).
Of course the medications bung you up so you have to have other medication to reverse that, with their own side effects, but clearing the Chemo out of the system was paramount.

So by Sunday, day 5, whilst I was tired, I did not feel particularly unwell - similar to the first week after a flu bout - run down, lethargic (no comments!!). On Monday, Tony the oncologist said I looked "well" and "young and fit" (leaving Liz choking on her coffee! - she thought I looked rough!) so I could go home Tuesday - and here I am.

What happens next?
The next stage is that my blood count (white platelets and neutrophils) and so forth will drop. I will become "Neutropenic".  This is where my body will be at risk because it will not be able to fight off infections.  It is expected that my count will hit bottom on about day 10 (this Friday), however I did receive a small injection costing about $1,000 which hopefully will accelerate the pick up of those counts and get us striding forward again.  So for the rest of this week I am keeping to myself, avoiding as much contact as is possible to minimise risk of infection. 

I can honestly say that I am lucky in having only had minimal reactions to the rejime (so far!), when in hospital there are numerous less fortunate patients who will, I am sure, be struggling to hold everything together.  I'm grateful for that small mercy.

Next week I have blood tests and an out patient visit with Tony, then it is recovery until round 2 commences on 21st December - perfectly timed for Christmas you note!!

I'll write a bit more about the later phases in a week or so.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there mate! Thanks for the update.
    All the best,
    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are home mate, bet you are pleased too! (Hope the house was up to satndard!!!) Glad you made a friend in hospital, even if he did follow you around all the time...
    Seriously though, so glad it is going o.k - keep fighting and am thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete