the Mellon's

the Mellon's
Happy Families

Wednesday 28 December 2011

Schedule 2 or is it cycle 2? Second Chemo and Christmas.

Hi folks, update time, I hope you are sitting comfortably.

I've just finished the second schedule of chemo and was fortunate enough to be allowed out of hospital on Christmas Eve.  Now, is this the second schedule / round or the second cycle?  Well I'm going to call it schedule B, of Cycle 1.  I will be receiving four cycles of this treatment.

What on earth are you on about I hear you saying!!  Let me clarify, the Hyper-CVAD consists of two schedules (or rounds) of chemo per Cycle of Hyper-CVAD.  Schedules A & B are totally different regimens,  doing different parts of the required task to rid me of Lymphoma.  So my first Chemo was Schedule A, and I have just completed Schedule B, thus apart from the rest / recovery phase, Cycle 1 is now complete.

This site is a good explanation for those who like to know what the in's and out's are for Hyper-CVAD!  You don't need to read this to follow the blog - so do not feel obliged! and remember what I have said about internet resources!!!
http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Chemotherapy/Combinationregimen/Hyper-CVAD.aspx

I started off in the day Oncology unit last Tuesday 20th.  I received the first treatment there which was not part of H-C, but is the additional treatment Rituximab (Mabthera®).
This drug can give patients the shakes & bad reactions on the first occasion taken, hence the visit to day Oncology where you basically have a one-to-one Nurse / Patient relationship whilst receiving this therapy.  Following this I moved up to the ward and 3 days of H-C.

The treatment themselves were fine, the main issues are lack of sleep, due to regular toilet visits, some nausea which is sorted by the Nursing staff and some 'shakes'.  Anyway Christmas Eve came along & they let me home for the holiday period.  I don't think the bottle of Shiraz influenced Tony's decision at all.
Christmas day was at home - actually our first Christmas ever in our own home in Australia.  A lovely relaxing day, with our traditional Salmon and eggs brekky, followed by a great lunch out on the deck.
The observant amongst you will note that due to a dearth of hair, my hat fits!!!! and Kyle is wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers shirt!!!

The rest of the holiday period was spent relaxing, eating Turkey and ham, and just being around with the family.
Today is 28th December - I'm typing this in the day Oncology unit.  I've come in for a blood count and to see how Hairy is holding up.  The outcome of this is that I am Neutropenic ie. my blood count is very low - Neutrophil's 0.11 (should be >1.5 to be out and about), Whitecount generally low, Platelets are low and I have a significant rash.  I actually had the rash on Christmas eve and was allowed home, for me practically the rash is not an issue to live with.  However with the Neutropenia (risk of infection) and that it has spread over my body, there is some element of concern.
Because of this I'm going to be admitted for a few days.  Better safe than sorry.

In a few days hopefully my blood count will have recovered a bit & they will let me out in time for my birthday (albeit at home) on 31st.  Before that, we have Kathryn's 21st on the 29th.  Our little baby is all grown up!!! (sorry for that KT!)

Have a great holiday period for those still off work, and have a relaxing few days for those who have to earn a crust!!
Catch you all later.

Alan

4 comments:

  1. Those first few paragraphs had to be read twice, a bit technical for me. Take care mate hopefully we will see you out on the water again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hairless Mel with hairless legs. Well, color is a bit... takes getting used to. But as we don't discriminate people on color, I guess pink(-legged) people are fine. (And also very informed and informative.) :-)
    You sound like it's an experiment. So get the phasing ABC per I, II, II etc. done quickly and get back from you holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad is the best in the whole world. I love him very very much and wish that he didn't have to deal with all this rubbish. Loveeeee you dad :) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alan, Just wanted to wish you all the best for your treatment and for a happy and healthy 2012. Stay strong and keep your sense of humour. My Mum has treatment today and then a final top up next week. The Chemo has done what it needed to do and she is doing well. Take Care, Mel;-)

    ReplyDelete