the Mellon's

the Mellon's
Happy Families

Wednesday 18 January 2012

Chemo schedule 3 - day 7

no updates since the third - sort of oops but also topics are a bit of a repeat. Currently midday at home on day 8 of third Chemo. cycle.

I saw the Doctor last Tuesday, before we started the chemo, it was a day of frustration and concerns.  Frustration because I  had to hang around the hospital for no real reason, concern because Tony was himself concerned about the node in my groin that was surgically biopsied. He thought it may have grown!  So he sent me for a CT scan & I was admitted late Tuesday to be ready to start chemo 3 / see him on the Wednesday.  Well thankfully CT results were good, nodes are shrinking, however that one node is taking longer - probably due to the invasive surgery. So, positive news there!

I've now completed the in-house schedule 3 chemo. and am currently sitting at home in a rather damp Brisbane, whilst my blood counts once again drop.  I've taken a little longer to recover from the hospital time on this occasion, it's primarily nausea / loss of appetite plus tiredness.  The nausea is managed via drugs, however you really do not feel ready for a good home cooked meal!  Tiredness again relates to the drugs and disturbances received whilst in hospital, Monday I was unable to concentrate but was not tired enough to sleep.

I'll be back to see the doctor on Thursday (day 9) so may get admitted dependant on my blood counts / neutropenia - infection once again is the biggest risk and Tony's potential requirement to give me further platelet or blood products.  Day oncology next Saturday - a short 30 minute IV, again depends if I am admitted prior to this due to the blood counts. After that is is recovering til 31st /1st when round 4 starts.  (Eeeek)

So that is round 3 update.   Interestingly my relatively rare illness is so rare that there was a guy about 10m away from me in the hospital, with the same illness, and running a month behind me!! Interestingly a different doctor with potentially differing treatments - more questions for Tony my Oncologist!!!!

Hayley got to fly down to Sydney to meet with Lesley, Barry, Hebe and special guest - Barry's credit card for a few days (shopping) - nice for friends to catch up and spend some time together especially before the girls start their Uni. careers.  Afterwards she met up with her cousins and had a nice day or so, before returning to Brissie to "partee"!!

Kathryn flew out for Pittsburgh last Sunday, that month flew by very quickly!  She is  now safely at Uni. with her team mates after quite a long haul flight. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see her off at the airport, I don't think nausea and farewells go together.  As it happened Liz said that the Airport was freezing and it was a good move to stay at home, so tearful hugs in the garage was the best farewell we could gather. 

Some thoughts / quotes I read recently -
“You can not control what is dealt to you; you can only control how you deal with it”.

What lesson did I get from today? In the words of Woody Allen:
“If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans.”

10 comments:

  1. Chemo sounds dreadful. I just watched a friend go through the same and it wasn't fun. But there is an end to it.

    Peckers up, and your quote made me think of my favourite from Søren Kirkegaard - something about you can only understand your life backwards but you have to live it forwards.

    I don't really know how leukaemia fits in with that.... just get better.

    best

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen, I appreciate your comments. The Chemo sounds bad, but to be honest it is only a few days in a short period of my life. The frustration to some degree is the need to keep myself to myself & you would know that is not me!!! There are choices - do I go out and risk infection or lock myself away & only meet with trusted individuals who are well. I'm still trying to find that balance....
    I like your quote also, you do have to look forward, currently for me that is on a 21 day cycle with blocks in that which are no go - ha ha never mind I can always watch daytime TV - the most depressing part of this whole process!!
    Take care & thanks again for your kind thoughts.
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al, none of my trusted individuals are well, I'd be buggerred….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha - shows the sort of people you associate with!!!! I reckon I would have to avoid most kayakers (festering neoprene & lycra etc) - but as for your lovely kids - they should be fine...... though as is the way with kids probably germy!!!!!!
    I hope your trusted individuals are well soon.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The frustration to some degree is the need to keep myself to myself & you would know that is not me!!!"

    We miss having your smiling face around, get this chemo knocked over and get back out on the water. You still owe us a whitewater trip to by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brian et al - just got the blood results today and Tony is a happy bunny, he hasn't knocked me about too much ie. I'm allowed out!! I have to have a short chemo session on Saturday (pain!) and see him again on Tuesday, otherwise
    "get on with life" - so if you are around for one of your Redcliffe paddles Wednesday I reckon that would be very therapeutic!! Re Whitewater - I have set my Padawan (Steve Peckman) a task of upping his skills ready to lead me on the Nymboida itself next wet season!! For QSKC members I reckon early June - chemo and stuff permitting!!!
    Regards - Happy bunny Hairy Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Al, check your email regarding a paddle on Wednesday.

      Delete
  7. Good news Alliewobble on you blood test results, hope you are feeling better, when you feel like eating, dont forget your fruit cakes in the freezer, with the good port in them lol, love Sissypops xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Alan, just wanted to pass on my very, very best wishes to you and Liz, and to let you know we are all thinking of you and wishing you a very speedy recovery. Thanks for this excellent Blog to keep up to date with your progress. Lots of love to you both and your "little ones"!! Where have those years gone since they were little???
    Lyn, Cranford, UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Below you said something about a little boy battling ependymoma ... can you please forward my info?

    http://www.ependyparents.org
    my sons site is http://www.nickybear.com
    he was diagnosed at 8 months old.

    GOD BLESS YOU ALL ... ANG

    ReplyDelete