the Mellon's

the Mellon's
Happy Families

Wednesday 4 January 2012

The start of a new year

Well they finally let me out, not however in time for my birthday, I was let out on Monday since my blood count had recovered somewhat in the time from New Year to the 2nd.
We celebrated Kathryn's 21st birthday and my own birthday in the hospital ward, Cheesecake & Tiramisu being the order of the day for each occasion respectively.  We arranged for KT to have a special treat of Skydiving over Redcliffe - working on the principle that the bungy didn't break on her 18th, so no bungy this time.
Anyway she landed safely a few days after her birthday, due to weather constraints.  New Years for me was low key - watched a film & Stephen Fry on TV then off to sleep - I couldn't even see the city fireworks from where the ward was.  At that stage I was still not allowed out of my room without either Baxter or a mask due to the neutropenia.  I received both blood and platelet transfusions to help my recovery. 
(from facebook - A rare wilderness sighting, Dad just warm enough in long trousers, sweat shirt and Mountain fleece, Hayley baking in shorts and T shirt. What is this Chemo doing to me???!!)

The first platelet transfusion set the rash off, with lots of temperature and itching, plus the reaction set my pulse racing to 130+bpm, not pleasant I can tell you!  Future transfusions were preceded by meds to stop such reactions.  By Monday of this week my blood count had recovered, aided by the transfusions plus the demon rash had finally faded leaving just bruises that are due to the low platelet count.  So they let me out to the care of my family,  I still have to be cautious of infection plus any illness and avoiding highly populated areas, however home is home.  I'm back into hospital next week, 11th, Cycle 2 schedule A.  So no peace for the wicked,  here's hoping everyone had a great New Year and looking forward to a fantastic 2012.

ps.  I heard from our new friends in Pennsylvania that they had a great time in the lead up to Christmas, with little Zachary celebrating his birthday on the nearby ski slopes.  So that's good news that our booking did not go to waste. 

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are out on parole Al, behave yourself and happy new year. Keep your pecker up. X. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen. Off to see the Doc. in an hour or so & according to the timetable he has given me, it'll be in for Chemo 3 tomorrow, Yippee (ish, very ish!!). I hope he doesn't ask for me to go in today, I'm deliberately unprepared, got to fix the tumble drier, ought to see the solicitor, oh and the weather is gorgeous - sunny and 32 degrees!!

    ReplyDelete